Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Growing Up as the Kid of a Teacher

August 19, 2014

Today was the second day of back to school prep and planning meetings.  At least four of my colleagues brought their young kids to school to help with the classroom set up, which means a little bit of help and a lot of coloring and racing wheelie chairs down the hallway to the joyous sound of chortles and giggles and belly laughs, and generally spending time charming all the other teacher-friends of their mommies and daddies.  It's seriously one of the things I love about the pre-school planning week.  We get to feel like the aunties and uncles of all of these kids that we are watching grow up year by year, just like when my kids were younger, they looked to all of my friends as their own personal bonus family members.  I remember being equally at home in the hallways of my mom's school when we'd go help her set up her classroom every year.  It's strange to think that there are lots of kids around for whom this is not the norm....  Anyway, I got to see several of my favorite kiddos today, and tomorrow I get to spend time with one of my very favorite kiddos, because Danielle has volunteered to come and help me out in my room tomorrow--and probably wheelie-chair race and charm a few of my friends along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment